Match Reports

2016-17 Match Reports in the link below by Gary Anderson

Saturday 6th May

Ayrshire Weekly Press Cup

Beith 1 - 1 Irvine Meadow
(Beith win 4-2 on penalties)

Match Report by Gary Anderson. Photos by Gordon McCreath

Beith on a sunny day with their flags out

Irvine Meadow faced a tough test against last year’s Scottish Junior cup winners Beith, in the second round of the Ayrshire Weekly Press cup. With Boyd and Barbour unavailable, Cripps started up front alongside Young, with Muir returning to the side also. With a close result against Pollok earlier in the season, Meadow looked once again to produce a good result against a premier division side.

It was Meadow who were first to come close to scoring, with Young leading a quick counter attack. His lay off to Carson at the edge of the box saw his first time shot saved well early on. Beith were quick to create their own chances however, Christie beating Newman to a cross but the resulting header was just wide. Beith continued to press but it was strong defending by Meadow to keep them out.

Irvine Meadow had their fair share of play, and they were the first to score. Willet done well to take the ball straight through the Beith back line before smashing the ball across the keeper into the back of the net. The goal didn’t take anything away from the home side, as they looked for a quick response. Beith’s McGowan beat Strachan as he burst into the box, Newman providing a brilliant stop down low. After half an hour of resilient defending, Beith finally broke through. A high cross into the box was won by number 5 who headed the ball down. Ex Medda player McPherson was the first to react, smashing the ball into the back of the net from close range.

Ex Meadow player and Beith scorer McPherson

Beith continued to push for the rest of the half, Bradley coming closest as he shot towards the bottom corner after a quick counter. However, yet another superb save from Newman kept Meadow in the game at half time.

Beith began the second half as they ended the first, attacking the Irvine Meadow defence. 12 looked to tap in a goal at the back post when a low driven cross flashed across the Meadow box but somehow he didn’t connect with the ball. Caught once again on the counter attack, a long kick from the Beith keeper went all the way through to Christie who looked to lob Newman, but was stopped by a brilliant save. Medda’s best chance of the half came to Willet, when a poor clearance fell kindly for him inside the box. His shot was inches over, much to the relief of the home fans.

The in form Newman looked as if he wouldn’t be beaten again as the keeper made numerous close range stops. With ten minutes remaining Beith stepped up their game yet again, creating chance after chance but both Newman and the defence held strong to see out the draw. With no extra time, penalties decided the winner.

Carson stepped up first but hit a poor penalty which was easily saved. The next 7 penalties were all taken well and scored with ease. Muir was to take Meadow’s fifth penalty, and it was almost identical to Carson’s, with the keeper saving it also.

The game ended with Beith deservedly moving onto the next round but it was a good effort from Meadow who took them all the way. An outstanding performance from Newman seen him earn man of the match with ease. Irvine Meadow will look to replicate the fight they showed next week against Yoker in their final game of the season at home.

Meadow Line-up: 1) Newman 2) Hannah 3) McCrea 4) Strachan 5) Begley 6) Carson 7) Muir 8) McKnight 9) Cripps 10) Young 11) Willet

Subs used: Black for Cripps

Joe Young who caused Beith problems with his pace & trickery

MOTM - Newman below

Next Match: League – Yoker(H)

McBookie West Region Super First Division
Saturday 1st April

Irvine Meadow 3 v 0 Shettleston Town

Scorers: Carson 2, (1 pen) & McLennan pen

Photos kindly provided by Robert Ritchie 
Match Report by Gary Anderson

Irvine Meadow welcomed league leaders Shettleston, in what was a vital match in the fight for promotion. After a controversial equalizer in the last meeting, Meadow looked to get the 3 points this time around
It was the perfect start for Medda, with only 3 minutes played the referee awarded a penalty to the home side. A dipping freekick from Carson was met by a flailing Shettleston hand, with the referee quick to make the decision for a penalty. Carson struck the penalty low and hard into the corner, leaving the goalkeeper no chance.

Only minutes later, Boyd managed to burst through on goal, but his touch around the keeper was too heavy, squandering the chance. Barbour also came close to doubling the lead, finding space in the box but hitting his shot just wide. A superb opening 10 minutes from Irvine Meadow was rounded off by a brilliant back heel flick from Carson finding its way past the Shettleston goalie, coming from a brilliant bit of build-up play down the wing. 
Shettleston’s only real chance of the half came after a deadly cross caused all sorts of problems in the meadow box, with numerous blocks being made. Both defences managed to stay strong however, as a tight half ended 2-0 to Medda.

The second half began in stark contrast to the first, with Shettleston pressing the Meadow back line. They stayed resilient, which resulted in yet another tight half, with a lack of chances for either side. After several debatable decisions from the linesman ruled out some great opportunities, the third goal finally arrived. 
With Carson picking up a knock, Hannah replaced him in the heart of midfield, and it wasn’t long before his fresh legs caused problems for the away defence. After a powerful run, a late challenge from the Shettleston defender brought him down in the box for the second penalty of the match. With Carson off, McLennan was the man to take, sending the keeper the wrong way and netting Meadow’s third.
It was a spirited performance from Medda, with every player stepping up. They push on in hopes for promotion, with a massive game at Meadow Park against Girvan in two weeks’ time.

Meadow Line-up: 1) Newman 2) McLennan 3) McCrea 4) Strachan 5) Begley 6) Carson 7) Black 8) McKnight 9) Barbour 10) Boyd 11) Willet
Subs used: Muir for Barbour, Young for Boyd, Hannah for Carson
Match Sponsors MOTM – Chris McKnight
Fans MOTM – Ryan Begley
Next Match: League – Yoker(A)

Irvine Meadow 3 v 0 Shettleston. Robert Ritchie photos.

Meadow Match Reports

Scottish Junior Cup 3rd Round Replay
Saturday 3rd December

Irvine Meadow 5 v 3 Darvel

Meadow Scorers: Begley 2, own goal & Willet 2

After an eventful match which ended in a draw, Irvine Meadow welcomed Darvel to Meadow Park for the Scottish Junior Cup Replay. Graham Boyd’s appeal after his sending off in the last match was accepted, allowing him to start as Meadow’s number 9. McIntyre made his debut in goals, with Mclennan moving to left back and McCrea starting in his usual left hand side of midfield.

Meadow had an early chance to take the lead when McCrea received the ball at the back post, his shot flashing across the face of goal. It wasn’t long till the home side took the lead however. Ten minutes in, Carson whipped a corner into the back post where Begley waited. Leaping above the rest, he manged to head home the opener.

In what was a tight start, Darvel found theirselves with a great opportunity when Strachan’s poor clearance fell right in the middle of the box causing a scramble. Eventually Meadow saw the ball clear to the relief of the home support. Only a few minutes later Darvel came at Meadow again, this time managing to head the ball passed McIntyre, but the goal was rightfully ruled offside. 
Just a minute had passed, when Carson fired in a teasing freekick. The Darvel centre back mistimed his header, looping the ball over his own keeper and into the goal. Meadow looked to grab another, this time Black tapping in a goal after Boyd failed to control the ball, but the Linesman’s flag was up.
After half an hour played, the home side only looked increasingly dangerous. Boyd glided past his man out wide and delivered a stunning cross. Willet rose well and managed to head home the third. 

Carson’s deliveries were on form as he hit yet another great freekick into the box, finding Begley again. The big man rose high and headed a powerful shot past the Darvel number 1. Irvine Meadow controlled the rest of the half, as Boyd looked to grab his first of the game, coming close on a number of occasions. It was a comfortable game for the home side at half time, going in four goals up and having had plenty of chances to make it more. 

The home fans half time celebrations were silenced when only two minutes after the restart Darvel’s Orr curled a freekick round the wall and past McIntyre. Five minutes later the away side scored another after poor defending at a corner allowed Parris a tap in.
Meadow looked shaken as they struggled to get started in the second half. With little over half an hour to go Darvel won a free kick in an identical position as before. This time McIntyre managed to save the shot, but his efforts were in vain as Armour was there to slot the ball in to cut the home side’s lead to one. 

It was a nervy affair for the rest of the second half, both sides looking like they could score next. A final goal came with only a few minutes remaining. Cripps managed to cut the ball across to Willet who turned his man and curled a great shot into the far side of the goal. A sigh of relief spread around Meadow Park after what was a poor second half performance.
Meadow managed to see the game through and earn themselves a spot in the next round, where they will face Carluke, who managed to beat local rivals Irvine Victoria in the last round.

Meadow Line-up: 1)McIntyre  2)Hannah  3)McLennan  4)Strachan  5)Begley 6)Carson  7)Black  8)Muir  9)Boyd  10) Willet  11)McCrae
Subs used: Browning for Black, Cripps for Boyd, Seymour for Willet
(Subs not used - Vernon)

Match Sponsors MOTM – Ben Carson
Fans MOTM – Jared Willet
Next Fixture: League – Girvan (Away)

Meadow will now face Carluke Rovers away on Saturday 21st January 2016 in the 4th Round

Begley with the first goal for Meadow

Darvel Keeper caught with an own goal to double Meadows lead to 2-0

Jared Willet heading home to make it 3-0 to Meadow.

Another head for Meadow to increase the lead to 4-0 before half time

McBookie West Region Super First Division
Irvine Meadow 2 v 1 Maryhill

Scorers: Carson pen & Boyd

Match report by Gary Anderson, photos kindly provided by Robert Ritchie & Gordon McCreath

Maryhill arrived at Meadow Park having won their previous four games after a poor start to the season. A win for the away side could see them out of the relegation zone and continue their strong run of form. Only seconds into the match Maryhill could’ve stole the lead as both McLennan and Begley made mistakes allowing the away forward through on goal, but his shot was straight at Newman. The Meadow continued to look nervous as Maryhill dominated the opening 15 minutes. It had taken over 20 minutes for Meadow to create any sort of chance, Black’s low drive producing a strong save from the Maryhill keeper. Ten minutes later McLennan fired a long freekick into the box finding McCrea, who’s volley rattled the bar.

Just as things started looking up for Meadow, Maryhill’s number 10 caused all sorts of problems for the back four, winning a free kick just outside the box. He stepped up to take it and curled it brilliantly into the goal. The away team went in with a deserved lead at half time in one of this seasons weaker displays from Meadow. 

It was a cagey start to the second half with both teams having players go into the book and few chances being created. New signing Barbour made his debut up top with Boyd and with just over 20 minutes to play Vernon was introduced. With a loss looking likely, Irvine Meadow moved into a 3-4-3 in the hopes of getting an equalizer. After only being on the pitch for 2 minutes, Vernon stole the ball from the Maryhill Centre Back who instantly brought him down for a penalty. Carson made no mistake, firing it to the keepers left. With under 5 minutes to go Meadow won a freekick high up the field. Carson provided a superb ball into the box finding Boyd who nodded home for a dramatic turnaround.  The stunned away side piled the pressure for the final 5, but Meadow stayed resilient in defence earning them the victory. 

It wasn’t Meadow’s best performance by far but a late double gave them the crucial 3 points against a team on the rise.  

Meadow Line-up: 1) Newman  2) Hannah  3) Murray  4) McLennan  5) Begley  6)Carson  7)Black  8)Muir  9)Boyd  10) Willet  11)McCrea

Subs used:  Barbour for McCrea, Browning for Willet, Vernon for Murray

Match Sponsors MOTM – Stuart Hannah
Supporters MOTM – Shaun Newman

McBookie West Region Super First Division
Saturday 29th October
Cumbernauld United 0 v 3 Irvine Meadow (Boyd, Begley & Muir)

Match Report by Gary Anderson, photos by Robert Ritchie & Gordon McCreath.

It was back to  league business after a run of cup games for Meadow. Browing came in for the injured Ben Black on the wing and Boyd lead the line this week. A win by 2 goals of more would see Meadow climb above Cumbernauld and into the top 5. The opening 10 minutes of the match was very tight, as expected. It wasn’t until 15 minutes had passed that the first opportunity at goal came. A long free kick from Newman was floated brilliantly into the box, where Boyd met it well, heading into the bottom corner of the goal. Meadow carried on looking the more dangerous side but it was Cumbernauld who came close next. A good ball in from a free kick caused chaos in the box but Begley did well to reach the ball and clear.

Only a few minutes later, a good corner from Carson was fired towards Begley who rose up and nodded in Irvine Meadow’s second of the game.Just over 5 minutes before the break Cumbernauld began to look dangerous in attack but their defence still looked very shaky.


After a brilliant performance from Meadow in the first half, it was the home team that started better in the second. A brilliant freekick from Cumbernauld’s 7 forced a fantastic save from Newman, continuing his great run of form.The home side looked the favourites to score the next goal as they piled the pressure on the resilient Meadow defence, but it was Muir who grabbed the third of the game, his first league goal of the season. Boyd flicked on McCrea’s cross towards the back post. The Cumbernauld number 1 made a mess of it and Muir was there on the line to tap home.

Cumbernauld continued to press as the game drew to an end, but some brilliant defending from the Meadow back 4 kept them at bay. The home side’s right back hit a brilliant strike from 30 yards out which rattled the post, adding to his team’s frustrations in attack. Both teams missed easy chances in the final few minutes. Boyd missing a 1 vs1 with the keeper, Browning’s cutback after going past the keeper cut out and the Cumbernauld 9 dragging his shot wide in acres of space.


Great performance from Irvine Meadow as they begin to challenge at the top of the table. Next week it’s home to Maryhill who look to get out of the bottom 3 having won their last two league games.

Meadow Line-up: 1)Newman  2)Hannah  3)Murray  4)McLennan  5)Begley 6)Carson  7)Browning  8)Muir  9)Boyd  10) Willet  11)McCrae

Subs used: Cuthbertson for Muir, Vernon for Willet

(Subs not used - Dolan, Cripps, Strachan)

MOTM – Ryan Begley

Next Fixture: League – Maryhill (Home)

Scottish Junior Cup 2nd Round. 
Saturday 22nd October
Irvine Meadow 4 v 0 Oakley United

(Own goal, Vernon, McCrea & Boyd)

Match Report by Gary Anderson
Match photos kindly provided by Robert Ritchie and Gordon McCreath.

Meadow looked to make it 5 wins in a row following good form in previous weeks, with the same line-up starting as last week’s win over Rutherglen. The away team made the journey from Fife as the underdogs, looking to cause an upset.

It was a quiet start to the game with neither team creating many chances. A hard tackle out on the wing from Oakley’s number 5 gave Carson an opportunity to create problems with a freekick and that’s exactly what he did. A driven cross into the box resulted in the visiting team knocking the ball into their own net to give Irvine Meadow the first goal of the match.
With the goal advantage, Meadow began to control the game. Only 5 minutes later, Vernon brought the ball down from a cross with his right foot and hit with his left on the turn, smashing the ball into the back of the net.
The home side dominated the rest of the half in what was a dry spell. With a 2 goal advantage, they looked good for the victory.
HT Irvine Meadow 2 v 0 Oakley.

Meadow came close once again just after the restart, as Begley rose well to meet Carson’s corner, but the header was just over.
It wasn’t until an hour into the game that Oakley began to look dangerous, as they started to create some chances for themselves. 

Meadow managed to catch the away side on the break, as Willet broke down the right hand side. The Oakley keeper did well to punch the ball clear, but the clearance fell straight to McCrea who dipped the keeper from a good 30 yards out. Despite going 3 goals down, it was a good response from the away team, with their centre forward missing two good chances.
With just over 20 minutes to go Boyd replaced Willet, with Meadow going with two out and out forwards. This was the first time Boyd and Vernon were partnered together and it wasn’t long before one of them netted the 4th goal.  
Browning managed to lay the ball down for Boyd who, after only being on a minute, just beat the defender to the ball with his deflected shot rising over the keeper. 

Both teams created a few chances in the final minutes but the Irvine Meadow defence managed to keep a clean sheet. The home side sailed through to the next round of the Scottish Junior cup with a confident performance.

Meadow Line-up: 1) Newman  2) Hannah 
 3) Murray  4) McLennan  5) Begley  6)Carson  7)Black  8)Muir  9)Vernon  10) Willet  11)McCrae

Subs used: Browning for Black, Boyd for Willet, Dolan for Carson

Match Sponsors MOTM – Lee McCrea
Supporters MOTM - Ryan Begley

Next Fixture: League – Cumbernauld (Away)

Vernon with Meadow's second goal

Meadow 4 v 0 Oakley. Robert Ritchie photos

Meadow 4 v 0 Oakley. Gordon McCreath photos

Irvine Meadow 3 v 1 Irvine Victoria

(Meadow scorers: own goal, Begley & Black)

Photos kindly provided by Robert Ritchie

Match report by Gary Anderson


Irvine meadow went into the game behind Vics in the league,
with both teams only on two points after four games. After the events of the Marymass cup it was always going to be a cagey affair.

Both teams started well with the ball being moved end to end, but it
was Meadow who had an early chance to take the lead. Boyd managed to nab the ball off of the opposition centre back and break through on goal, but he struck wide. Only a minute later Black managed to find his way through on goal, with the Vics keeper making a routine stop from a weak shot.

Eleven minutes in however, Vics Young
found himself completely unmarked from a throw in, giving him all the time in the world to find the top corner. With Vics taking the lead, the game looked much more in the balance. Carson’s set pieces were getting ever more dangerous and eventually paid off. A good corner from the man came clean off the Vics defender into his own net for Meadow to draw even.

Despite a fierce game with numerous warnings it took almost half an hour for the first booking to be given. Few chances fell for either side towards the end of the first half, but after Irvine Vics failed to clear a corner, Carson’s ball back in found Begley who headed home to take the lead. A pacey corner from the other end looked to put Meadow in danger
if it wasn’t for Weir coming out well and punching clear.

HT: A tight first half between the local rivals but it was Irvine
Meadow who went in ahead.

Meadow came flying out the blocks in the second half, bombarding the Vics goal for the first ten minutes of the second half. Muir being the one who came closest with Vics number 4 making a crucial block. A free kick in a great position for Vics seen Weir make a fantastic save to prevent the ball flying into the top corner.

Meadow continued to apply pressure but
failed to find the target. As frustrations rose the referee had to approach the Vics management for a second time in the match, deciding to send one of them to the stands. Only a few minutes later Vics Chesney seen red for his second booking after committing a number of fouls while on a yellow. With only a few minutes to go Meadow finally got their third of the game. A long ball over the top fell to Black who took it in his stride towards goal. The Vics keeper rushed out and appeared to miss the ball as it rolled into the back of the net.

FT: A great performance from Meadow saw them sail past their
local rivals and rise above them in the league.

Meadow Line Up: Weir, Hannah, Murray, McLennan, Begley, Carson, Ben Black, Muir, Boyd, Willet, Browning. Sub Used: Vernon for Boyd

Ben Black with a shot early on

Vics make it 1-0 to them with a tremendous strike

Meadow equalise through a Vics own goal

Ben Black with a run down the wing

Ryan Begley makes it 2-1 for Meadow in the first half

Ben Black bearing down on Vics keeper for the third Meadow goal

Celebrations after  the third goal